INVEST IN WOMEN’S HEALTH: THE ASARINA PHARMA PIPELINE
Asarina Pharma is advancing a robust portfolio of products, to become a leading speciality pharma company within the area of Women’s Health.
Our pipeline is based on over 40 years’ world-class research into GABA hormones by CSO and founder Torbjörn Bäckström (MD, PhD). Dr Bäckström has published 400 papers on the effect of sex and stress hormones, in particular on the range of conditions induced by the impact of hormones in the GABA-A receptor platform.The company’s flagship product is Sepranolone.
SEPRANOLONE FOR MENSTRUAL MIGRAINE
A PHASE IIA TRIAL OF SEPRANOLONE FOR THE TREATMENT OF MENSTRUAL MIGRAINE WAS STARTED IN AUGUST 2019.Sepranolone is also being trialled as a specialist product to meet the enormous unmet need for a treatment for Menstrual Migraine. Menstrual migraine is caused by the same hormone metabolite that triggers PMDD—Allopregnanolone. As Sepranolone modulates the effects of allopregnanolone, it also offers a targeted therapy for menstrual migraine.
- 1-in-5 WORLDWIDE: MENSTRUAL MIGRAINE Migraine is more prevalent than diabetes, epilepsy and asthma combined.
- 3 X more women than men suffer from migraine
- 1-in-5 of those women suffer from Menstrual Migraine
- 2017 – 2022 the number of women with Menstrual Migraine in the US predicted to increase
- 150 – 500 MUSD: forecast potential gross revenues in the US from Menstrual Migraine treatment
- 150 MUSD from refractory Menstrual Migraine patients
THE SEPRANOLONE AUTOINJECTOR
Sepranolone will first be self-administered by patients via subcutaneous injection using an autoinjector.
Safe, simple and convenient, the autoinjector will be compatible with a specially developed Sepranolone syringe. It will automatically administer a single, fixed dose. It will be disposable, with a needle-shielding system and secondary packaging.
- COMPATIBLE WITH SEPRANOLONE SYRINGE
- SINGLE, FIXED DOSE
- AUTOMATIC INJECTION
- PROVIDES NEEDLE SHIELDING
- SECONDARY PACKAGING
GAMSAs: A NEW GENERATION OF THERAPIES
Dr Bäckström’s work has transformed understanding of how powerfully GABA-A modulating steroids impact our moods and behaviour.
And it has identified a new family of antagonist compounds called GAMSAs (GABAA Modulating Steroid Antagonists) that inhibit the negative effects of GABA-A modulating steroids.
GAMSAs have the potential to constitute a new generation of safe, targeted therapies. Potential GAMSA compounds could be developed to treat:
- EPILEPSY (especially catamenial or menstrual-related epilepsy)
- STRESS-RELATED FATIGUE
- COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENTS
- BALANCE TREATMENTS